Unwanted Newcastle United left-back Achraf Lazaar is in Italy looking to secure a move away from St James’ Park according to The Shields Gazette.
The 25-year-old has been told by Magpies boss Rafael Benitez that he has no future at the club, leaving the defender to seek employment elsewhere.
The Spaniard was told by Newcastle owner Mike Ashley that he had to sell players in order to sign new ones, with the left-back one of a number of players, including Tim Krul and Emmanuel Riviere, being told he was surplus to requirements.
Lazaar, who joined the Magpies from Palermo last year, made just nine appearances in his first season at St James’ Park and it appears that will be all that he makes.
Any lingering chance that the Morocco international could have a future at Newcastle went when he was not considered for selection for the match at Huddersfield Town on Sunday, despite Benitez not having a recognised left-back available after the injury to Paul Dummett.
Lazaar has four years remaining on his contract at the Tyneside outfit, although he is expected to be allowed to leave on the cheap, as the Magpies manager looks to free up space for new signings before the transfer window closes.
Genoa were rumoured to be interested in the Moroccan. He posted a photograph of himself and his representatives in Milan on Instagram on Saturday, with discussions over a loan move with Newcastle said to have taken place.
Benitez will be hoping he can offload the defender as soon as possible, as he looks to strengthen his personnel ahead of transfer deadline day next week, after seeing his side fall to successive defeats to begin their Premier League campaign.
Newcastle followed up a 2-0 defeat to Tottenham on the opening weekend with a disappointing 1-0 reversal at Huddersfield on Sunday, a result which highlighted the need for further reinforcements.